Associate General Counsel
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
The Associate General Counsel will oversee legal matters and advise FlightAware’s CEO, CTO, and senior management on the implementation of company strategies. In addition to structuring complex business transactions and negotiating critical contracts, the Associate General Counsel will manage the legal, data privacy, compliance, and risk management functions, and will oversee the work of outside counsel.
We are looking for an experienced attorney with excellent judgment and a sense of urgency to evaluate and prioritize the day-to-day and long-term legal needs of a growing technology company.
- Provide oversight, solutions-oriented guidance, and recommendations to stakeholders and senior management on all legal matters, including contracts, privacy, corporate, intellectual property, international and employment.
- Ensure the legal rights of FlightAware are protected, its legal obligations and potential risks are well defined and understood by management.
- Draft, review, and negotiate wide range of complex contracts, including software and data licenses, partner contracts, vendor agreements and NDAs.
- Support FlightAware’s expansion into new markets, including establishing new foreign entities and compliance with local employment laws.
- Manage real estate affairs, including office leases, subleases, and desk licenses in Texas, New York, Singapore, and other potential international locations as business develops.
- Oversees the selection and management of all outside counsel.
- Optimize legal spend, identify other tools and resources to automate the legal function to run more efficient.
- Manage patent and trademark portfolio. Inform on copyright and trade-secret issues and API licensing.
- Advise on and implement best practices for legal affairs.
- Partner with Human Resources on recruiting, hiring, immigration, performance, and termination.
- JD from accredited U.S. law school required, and a license to practice law in Texas and in good standing.
- At least 7 years legal experience, preferably corporate counsel with a small to mid-size company.
- Proven track record with software or data licensing.
- Proficiency with structuring and negotiating contracts for a software, SaaS company.
- Experience in intellectual property law, including licensing of IP rights and IP due diligence Revenue-focused and able to move business forward with minimal risk.
- A business partner who likes working side-by-side with business teams and receptive to opposing views.
- Ability to travel as necessary, 10% of the time.
- Knowledge of data privacy regulations Natural leadership ability. Self-starter.
- Strong personal organization practices and attention to detail.
Salary varies based on experience
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Associate General Counsel - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.